2 - 3
FATMAP difficulty grade
It is assumed that there was a pagan place of worship on the Rulesberg in pre-Christian times.
Around 1300 a simple wooden chapel was erected there, dedicated to the archangel Michael, the fighter against the pagan gods, and from then on called the Rulesberg Engelberg.
When a little later the chapel was enriched by a statue of the Virgin Mary, the first pilgrimages began.
The number of pilgrims increased due to publication reports and the granting of indulgences.
Thus the small chapel was replaced by a new, larger one made of stone, which was expanded further and further in the following years.
In 1630 Archbishop Anselm Kasimir von Wambold of Mainz had a monastery built on Engelberg and occupied by Capuchin monks.
In 1697 the Antonius Chapel was added and in 1699 the Marien Chapel.
In 1828, King Ludwig I.
Franziskaner ordered the monastery and the pilgrimage chaplaincy to be taken over.
With the addition of the family crypt of the princes of Löwenstein and a votive chapel, the church was expanded once again, and in 1899 it was extended for the last time to give it its present appearance.
From Großheubach 612 steps lead up to the monastery.
From Schnatterloch we follow the Limes hiking trail to the castle of Kleinheubach.
First we reach the Mainzer Tor.
Then we go down the stairs to the right into the allotments and turn right at the end of the allotments, cross the level crossing and turn left again immediately.
There is the former bath of the former cohort fort Miltenberg.
The fort was located near a ship landing stage on the Main River.
Its size was 2.7 ha.
It was discovered in 1842 in the course of research on the Limes.
Findings can be found in the Miltenberg Museum.
The inhabitants of the Palatine oppidum Walehusen converted the fort walls into city walls and built a church on the foundations of the principia.
From the fort we walk through a park to the castle of Kleinheubach.
In 1721 the Princely House of Löwenstein acquired the sovereign rights over Kleinheubach from the Counts of Erbach and began building a Baroque palace in 1725.
After the war, the Deutsche Bundespost took over most of the plant as a tenant.
Owned by the Fürst Löwenstein Foundation since 2004.
At the end of the castle park, take the OWK Blaue Raute hiking trail to the left back to the Main bridge, cross it in the direction of Großheubach and follow the blue markings through Großheubach and up to the Engelberg monastery.
612 stone steps lead from Großheubach up to the monastery.
This sky staircase, surrounded by 14 Stations of the Cross with 6 chapels, was built as early as 1637.
From the monastery we go down the Himmelsstiege again and turn left at the outskirts of Großheubach with the Fränkischer Rotwein hiking trail and walk through the vineyards back to Miltenberg.
author: Susanne Imhof