FATMAP difficulty grade
Tour descriptionThe first 26 km lead from Marktheidenfeld on dirt roads first over the agricultural Marktheidenfelder Platte through the villages Birkenfeld, Billingshausen and Duttenbrunn and then into the Main valley.
From Laudenbach the last section follows the Main cycle path to Karlstadt and back to Marktheidenfeld.
48 km long route runs on level ground without major climbs.
If the entire tour is too long for one day, there are numerous overnight accommodations along the Main River; alternatively, you can take the train between Karlstadt, Gemünden and Lohr.And here a visit is worthwhile: Marktheidenfeld: Franck House, built 1745 by Franz Valentin Franck, wine merchant Johann Georg Andreas Schulz (1735 - 1809) is said to have invented sparkling wine production in Germany here, 1987 sold to the city; completion of the renovation work in 1998, today the cultural centre of the city with art exhibitions and events such as concerts and readings, ceremonial hall for weddings and receptions of the city, Kath.
Parish church of St.
Laurentius, built in the 16th century by Prince Bishop Julius Echter of Mespelbrunn as a visible sign of the Catholic reform of the time, four construction phases in Romanesque/Gothic/baroque and neo-Baroque style, old half-timbered buildings can be admired throughout the townBirkenfeld: in 788 a pirate tablet was mentioned in a document, to which the place name Birkenfeld probably goes back, Kath.
Parish church St.
Valentin, tower substructure 12th/13th century, Upper floors 1611, choir 1841, Historical Way of the Cross with KreuzbergkapelleKarlstadt: district town of the Lower Franconian district Main-Spessart, historical town hall at the market square, built in 1422 as town hall, department store and dance hall, with three-aisled market hall on the ground floor and the largest citizen hall of Franconia to this day on the first floor, also known is the so-called "Kreuzweg" with KreuzbergkapelleKarlstadt.
"Schwedemännle", Karlstadt's most listened to musician and astonished symbolic figure, four times a day his Landsknechtslied "Vom Barette schwankt die Feder" (The feather swings from the beret), Stadtgeschichtliches Museum im Landrichterhaus, Hauptstraße 11, insights into the cultural, religious and social life of people from the Middle Ages to the 19th century, historical half-timbered houses, everywhere in the old town of Karlstadt, e.g.
the half-timbered house group "Hauptstraße 6 - 10", the parish church of St.
Andreas, at the church square, oldest building elements from the founding period of the town, art treasures from all centuries of the town history, treasure chamber in the southern transept with a series of precious gold and silversmith's work Gemünden a.Main: "Franconian three-river city" at the mouth of Sinn and Saale into the Main, Gemünden is surrounded by the Franconian wine country in the east, the Spessart in the west and the Rhön in the north, cyclist junction, cycle paths on the Main, Franconian Saale, Sinn and Wern meet here, castle ruins Scherenburg, typical Franconian castle complex on the spur of the Eichberg from the 13th century, the Scherenburgfestspiele (open-air theatre) take place annually in the inner courtyard from mid-July to mid-August, the Baroque Hutten Castle on the Saalebrücke bridge, built by Amtmann Stern in 1711, later passed into the possession of the Counts of Hutten, today the Hutten Castle houses a film photo sound museum, the Ronkarzgarten, a monument of architectural history, created between 1830 and 1845, which is a "remarkable and rare testimony to bourgeois horticulture "Steinbach: (OT of Lohr a.Main), Baroque church from the years 1719 - 1721, castle, built at the beginning of the 18th century according to plans by Balthasar Neumann and Joseph Greising; old building and round tower on the street from the 16th century, since the 17th century in possession of the barons of Hutten to the StolzenbergLohr a.Main: (side trip over the old Main bridge), the gate to the Spessart, old town hall with market place, stately representative building (1599 - 1601) of the Lohr master builder Michael Imkeller, on the ground floor formerly open market hall, closed at the beginning of the 19th century, today event room for concerts, cabaret, lectures, Spessart museum in the castle, since the 14th century, the "Spessartmuseum" in the castle.
Residence of the Counts of Rieneck, from 1559 of the Mainz Oberamtmänner, from 1814 of the Bavarian Regional Court Lohr, until 1972 District Office; birthplace of the Würzburg and Bamberg Prince-Bishop Franz Ludwig von Erthal (1730 - 1795), Isolator Museum in the old Trafohäuschen, collection of more than 600 insulators from 36 countries, insulators the size of a thimble or a hundredweight, St.
Peter's Church, the largest in the world.
Michael's church with church square, historical churchyard with stone crucifix; catholic parish church St.
Michael, pillar basilica 13th - 15th century built on several predecessor buildings, Romanesque sacristy, church tower 1496 (61 m high), in the choir impressive epitaphs of the counts of Rieneck of the 15th/16th century, Fischerbrunnen, donated in 1983 by the inhabitants of the "Meeviertel" on the occasion of the city anniversary, half-timbered houses at the intersection of Hauptstraße, Turmstraße and LohrtorstraßeSendelbach: (OT von Lohr a.Main), school museum, Sendelbacher Straße 21, main focus Empire (1871 - 1918) and 3rd Empire (1933 - 1945), church St.
Josef, inaugurated in 1971, with altar figures from the old church of 1872, school history museum, nature reserve Romberg