1 - 2
FATMAP difficulty grade
The "http://www.tourismus-weiz.at/de/st-ruprecht/ausflug-entdecken/kulturrundgang/breiteggerkirche" pilgrimage church Breitegg is located about 2 km outside of "http://www.tourismus-weiz.at/de/st-ruprecht "St.
Ruprecht an der Raab am Kalvarienberg, which extends to the north of the market.
A wooden tower was replaced by a wooden prayer house in the 18th century at the present location of the church.
The present church "Zum Gegeißelten Heiland" was built on this site from 1845 to 1850.
The three-storey building with vestibule, semicircular apse and double tower facade was built in historical forms by master bricklayer Jakob Gauster from Dörfl.
The nearby church at Weizberg served as a model for the towers.
The church was consecrated in 1853.
The painting of the church was completed in 1890 with historical decorative elements on the pilasters and ceiling, as well as with images on the vault, rear wall and ceiling referring to the Passion of Christ.
In the chapel of the vestibule there is a sculptural replica of the Mariahilf gracious image from Graz.
Today the church is also used for devotions.