5 - 6
FATMAP difficulty grade
Hemma was born around 980 as Countess of Friesach-Zeltschach and was known among the population for her charity and her endowment.
With her wealth she also founded the Benedictine monasteries Gurk and Admont.
The latter now houses the largest monastery library in the world - and is well worth a visit.
In Admont, coming from the monastery, we follow the main road to the north.
The salt nature trail leads directly to Zirnitz.
Via the Zirnitzsattel we reach the church of Frauenberg.
Continue in the direction of Selzthal.
And from here we hike first to the "Heiligen Bründl" and then on to the castle Strechau.
Now it is only a few kilometres to Lassing. The foundation of the Benedictine monastery Admont goes back to a foundation of the holy Hemma von Gurk and took place in 1074 by Archbishop Gebhard von Salzburg.
It is the oldest existing monastery in Styria.
It also temporarily housed a nunnery, which was dissolved during the Reformation.
For centuries, Admont has not only been the religious centre of Upper Styria, but also a spiritual, cultural and economic centre.
A fire in 1865 had devastating consequences for the monastery, destroying almost the entire building except for the library.
Reconstruction began a year later.
Today the monastery houses not only the largest monastery library in the world, but also an art and natural history museum, a museum of contemporary art and a wide range of religious and cultural activities.
About 8 km west of Admont rises a wooded single mountain, at the highest point of which is the Frauenberg parish and pilgrimage church, visible from afar.
In 1404 a wooden Chapel of Grace was first built here, and in 1410 the foundation stone for the Gothic pilgrimage church was laid.
Built in 1690, the high altar was transformed into a altar of grace in 1786.
In the centre there is the half-figure of Our Lady with Child from around 1420.
The cross altar erected by Josef Stammel in 1736 in the former Chapel of Grace of St.
Mary is also remarkable. Another highlight of our tour is the castle Strechau.
The elongated, steadily growing castle on a rock high above the Paltental valley is one of the most beautiful fortified buildings in Styria.
Its location on the road, which has been widely used since Roman times, gave it great importance.
The partly Romanesque, partly Gothic fortification was rebuilt into a Renaissance chateau in the middle of the 16th century by the Hoffmann dynasty, leaders of the Styrian Protestant estates.
In 1629, in the course of the Counter-Reformation, the Admont Monastery took over the extensive possessions and rights associated with the castle.
At Easter 1823 Archduke Johann wanted to marry the postmaster's daughter Anna Plochl at Strechau Castle, but Emperor Franz I refused his consent.