7 - 8
FATMAP difficulty grade
Saint Hemma, born in 980 as Countess of Friesach-Zeltschach, was such a well-known personality among the population not least because of her charity and her endowment.
She founded the Benedictine monasteries Gurk and Admont, where the largest monastery library in the world can be seen.
From Donnersbachwald you first go to the holiday village Hinterwald (1,066 m).
We continue hiking to the Glattjoch chapel, which we reach after 4 1/2 hours.
Here, at the highest point of the pilgrims' path (1,988 m), we have a wide panoramic view of the magnificent mountain world.
This "primeval path" over the Glattjoch was once already used by the packers.
The hiking trail then leads from the Glattjoch first steeply downhill into the Weberbachtalboden.
Via Kote (1,650 m) we descend downhill to the Schöttlkapelle (1,216 m).
The road continues from the chapel until we finally arrive in Oberwölz after another 4 1/2 hours of walking.
Coming through the Schöttltor, we visit the smallest town in Styria with its predominantly medieval town centre. The Glattjoch Chapel is the highest sacred building in Styria (1,988 m) and was erected in honour of St.
The dry-stone construction, unique in Central Europe, points to an age of over 1000 years.
The chapel has been scientifically examined and completely restored in recent years.
Just below the chapel, an old shelter hut was uncovered, and various small finds in the form of ceramic shards, nails and horseshoes were discovered along the way.
Meanwhile a mountain fair takes place every year in June at the chapel. Oberwölz was elevated to town status around 1300 and experienced an economic boom in the 14th and 15th centuries.
The city walls, three city gates and the fortifications, which still give the town centre a medieval appearance, date back to this period.
The city parish church of St.
Martin is the oldest church in Oberwölz.
Not far from the city parish church is the hospital church of St.
The purely Gothic church was built in 1430 by Hans Jersleben and has a warped ground plan due to the lack of space.
The magnificent high altar with a larger-than-life crucifix is part of the valuable interior decoration.
In the centre of the main square stands the Marian Column, probably donated in 1717, with the statue of the Virgin Mary and the Plague Saints Rochus and Sebastian, all carved in wood.
In the northern part of the main square, near the Schöttltor gate, you will find the Austrian Wind Music Museum and a local history museum.