5 - 6
FATMAP difficulty grade
She was considered a benefactor and donor: St.
Hemma, born around 980 as Countess of Friesach-Zeltschach.
With her wealth she also founded the Benedictine monasteries Gurk and Admont.
The latter now houses the largest monastery library in the world - and is well worth a visit.
From the market square in St.
Lambrecht, head uphill towards Auerlingsee (1,318 m) and the Carinthian border.
Arrived at the Wandaler Kreuz on the Bergsattel, we first enjoy the wonderful view, before we continue on the Carinthian side over the narrow Gwerzbach valley down to Ingolsthal.
In Ingolsthal we pilgrimage over the parish church to the Perzl Cross.
From here we walk down to Metnitz via the farms Buchhäusl, Toner, Rainer (Hemmabrunnen), Marak, Gruber and Senger. The Auerlingsee lake in the Zirbitzkogel-Grebenzen Nature Park is certainly a highlight on this stage.
The lake is situated in a beautiful forest and has a size of approx.
It is a mountain lake that was formed by moraine damming.
Ingolsthal lies in a side ditch that runs north from the Metnitztal valley.
It is an old mining area where silver has been mined since the early Middle Ages.
Since the 12th century, the village has had its own parish church dedicated to St.
It was first mentioned in documents in 1169 and raised to parish status in 1531.
The four-column high altar (around 1725) fills the entire eastern side of the church.
In 1750 Josef Ferdinand Fromiller painted a large stucco framed picture of the Annunciation of Mary on the plastered ceiling of the nave.
During the restoration in 1971, frescoes were found inside the church and on the south-facing outer wall. The parish church of St.
Leonhard in Metnitz is situated in an exposed position on the edge of a steep rock in the centre of the village.
The church is Gothic, over Romanesque wall remains with late Baroque additions.
It has rich frescoes - these were only uncovered in the middle of the 20th century - and among other things has 13 life-size apostle figures (1746) from the Judenburg carving workshop of Balthasar Prandtstätt, who also made the high altar.